Thursday, October 29, 2009

What My Momma Taught Me

Here's a little background. My daddy worked as a minister as I was growing up. My momma also worked after my brother and I started school, but neither made very much, so she had to really stretch the budget. Somehow, we always had the necessities and a little more.

I tell you this because my tendency toward the frugal is a bi-product of this environment. I always knew the value of a dollar and my mom gave me some tips to getting the most out of grocery money. Sometimes she fed a family of four on $25 a week (granted this was before inflation hit in the late 70's, but still...)

Sometimes we had more, but there were a few rules she followed most of the time that helped keep us afloat. I'm going to share those with you over the next few days. Some you may know and some you may choose not to follow. I'm just sharing. It's up to you what you do with it.

I can tell you this - when I have been lazy and not followed the guidelines I was taught, I have been sorry. That would be a great segway into a deeper subject dealing with making all kinds of mistakes in life, but this blog is about being frugal, not about listening to your momma, so I'll save the sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment